Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sewing Is My Bag


You know how it is when you have been hit by a bug and you can't seem to get it off your mind. I have the "bag bug". I thought I would make one or two, but I can't seem to stop. I have decided to try my own ideas and designs for some new bags for my shop. The process takes time to plan and work out all the "bugs" just to get it right. Sure .... there are thousands of patterns out there, but I just want something different and my own.

A couple of years ago we took out some walls in our 105 year old house and I found some newspaper clippings from 1934 tucked up in the rafters. They were patterns of dresses that you could order through a mailing address. I imagine the lady of the house back then was dreaming of having these patterns and making herself a new dress. The black and white drawings of the dresses also showed the accessories to go with them. Of course I had to make one of the bags , so the pink one is a vintage style and I just used a little more modern fabric. I added a small cosmetic bag to match......I really like how it turned out...now all I need is the dress to go with it!
So spring has finally hit southern Ontario, and the gardens are starting to come alive. The weeds seem to have taken over and the cold winter was very hard on some of my perennials. Lots of plants to move and divide and then there will be a vegetable garden to plant. Spring cleaning is a "must do" for the entire house now that the bright sun shine fills every room, I can see the dust bunnies and dirty windows have taken over. I will be busy spring nesting as my Grandma use to call it, for the next few days (weeks)...... but you know I would really rather make another bag!

3 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

Very Pretty. I'd rather be knitting and crocheting any time than Spring cleaning. But the time has come when I'm going to have to get after those dust bunnies.

Bev C said...

Love your new bags. Your house sounds interesting what other treasures have you found. Have a great weekend.

Berglind said...

You can always find use for one more bag Cathy... I love your bags and the story behind them :) Happy cleaning!!