Friday, October 10, 2008

Thankfulness


As the long weekend approaches and I realize today is Friday, I have to wonder where the week has gone. In a few hours my guys will be home for three days and family plans will begin. A turkey dinner with all the extras for Sunday and visits with Grandparents tomorrow, another canoe trip down the Thames river to see the changing colours of the trees. The weather is going to be warm and sunny so I am really looking forward to this time together.
Every year it is our family tradition to tell each other what we are thankful for as we sit around the dining room table filling ourselves on turkey. I know that my son will say he is thankful for "This Turkey Dinner" as it is the same every year and I know he says it because it was what my Dad always said and it would make him laugh. I believe every year something is new on my list of "thankful" and while everyone waits for my list to be finished so they can eat, they moan and groan and sneak pickles while I am not looking. That is why it is tradition! But this year I will remember to add in "friendship". A special friendship that goes beyond any other. The really good friendship that you treasure so much and work hard at keeping it just right. The kind of friendship that I believe only comes around once in a life time. The friend that would do anything for you and would say she never does enough. The friend who I can talk to for hours and hours and it feels like no time has passed at all. The friend who has enriched my life so much and wouldn't believe it even if I told her over and over. So along with being thankful for my health and my husband and son, family, our home, our love.........I am thankful for her friendship.

For all my Canadian friends, have a wonderful Thanksgiving Weekend!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not one of your Canadian readers, but I do think that every day given to us is a cause for Thanksgiving so let me say, "Happy Thanksgiving!"

And I had to laugh when you described your family groaning while waiting for you to finish your thankful list. Because we have the exact same tradition in our family, and my children sometimes sigh and eye the food longingly while waiting for me to finish my lengthy thankful list!

Clara....in TN said...

We have so much to be thankful for. Hope this Thanksgiving week-end was very special. The trip down the river looks inviting. The colors are about to peak here in Tennessee. Everything is so vibrant.

Anonymous said...

We ARE blessed!