Thursday, October 2, 2008

Warm Heart


A sunny and bright beautiful day for fall weather. Don't get me wrong, there is a chill in the wind that makes you remember to take a nice warm sweater with you. Many signs of autumn show up here in my small country town long before the leaves change their colour. Pumpkins line the farmers fields bright orange down every gravel road, fields of sunflowers shine their bright yellow and slow moving tractors pulling wagons filled with tomatoes slow me down on the two lane highway. The local apple orchard is now open, it is what I look forward to the most. Down the back roads, follow the homemade signs and you will find this small family business. No one is ever there, you can just help yourself and the sign reads "please put money in the tin box on the workbench inside the garage". An honor system that I am sure you would never find in the city. I will be back there many times, as I can never have enough apples around here.

I love how this morning the sun glowed off the water of Lake Erie, as I could see bits and pieces of the lake between the farmers trees in the backs of their fields on my way to the city. The sun's rays fell from the sky and sat at the water's edge. My Dad always use to say that the rays were the staircase to Heaven....that makes me smile.
It is a weekly ritual for me to travel into the city to pick up supplies and groceries and run small errands. With the price of fuel and the time it takes, you don't go everyday.

I managed to finish sewing on the binding of my fall quilt this week. The quilt is a project that I have been working on the last two years, a gift from the Mister for Valentines day. (I know...I am so lucky). It was a difficult one to hand quilt because it is made from soft flannels on both sides. The pattern is called "Warm Heart" and the fabrics are from Thimbleberries. It sat for along time in the closet until I decided to tie this one so I could finally use it. I am happy with the way it turned out, it is so heavy and warm and the colours are my favourite. Just in time I would say, possible frost warning for tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely writing, Cathy! I enjoyed very much this glimpse into your world--it sounds quite a lot like mine, except for the fact that we don't have anything comparable to Lake Erie! (And, by the way, I loved the image of the sun's rays on the lake.)

And your quilt is just beautiful. It must be so satisfying to snuggle under the warmth of something you made yourself on these nippy, frosty nights.

Clara....in TN said...

Cathy, your post just warmed my heart this morning. It sounds so cozy in your corner of our world. The quilt is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure it will be divine to snuggle underneath.